Sunday, July 6, 2014

How To Line (wooden or otherwise) Soap Molds With Freezer Paper PERFECTLY

I wrote this such a LONG time ago.  It was so long ago it was before I had even invested in wooden soap molds or silicone or even plastic ones for that matter.   But the process is still the same so I have decided not to redo the tutorial.

It even shows that us experienced folks were once beginners as well.


Because my method of making a soap mold liner is a little unusual I thought I would share it with ya'll. But it's also dead on accurate and works beautifully and perfectly. Without any creases or lines on the sides that you can get with guessing the lines on the freezer paper or using plastic.

With little investment in materials.
It doesn't matter if your mold is a plastic drawer organizer, or a cardboard box or a more expensive wooden mold. Perhaps you want to line something else as your mold. It's the general technique that is important.

To start with my mold is a super spendy one as you can see by my pictures. Something I am sure anyone reading this would have access to..... Even if it's not a recycled priority box, but you could use a milk carton, cereal box... anything you wanted to square or rectangle.


Ok I took a priority mail box that was 3" wide and 12" long and I cut it to be 3" high. And I got two molds from one box as well. How's that for being thrifty.



Then moving on to your investment. I am also a quilter and so I happen to have quilting tools on hand as well. So I took my quilting ruler that measures 6 1/2 inches wide and 24 inches long.




Here is a close up of the corner so you can see how it's marked.


This particular ruler cost just a hair under $10 but they do make smaller ones that are cheaper. I got mine in the craft department at wal-mart. My kids stepped on my other one, but that only measured about 13 inches long, and so i had it taped together. So I replaced it.  This was purchased some time ago so I am not sure what the current prices are.....



Now moving on to your freezer paper. You will want to draw an extra line to square up your raw edge. So use your lines on your ruler to do the work for you on this one and draw the first line to square up your corners.  This keeps the side of the paper square and even.




Next is trial and error for the most part. It may take you a few tries to get the exact measurments you need for your mold. But once you know this will make future liners easier to make. So measure your mold in length and width. And follow the directions to make a box as I show you. Slip it down into your mold. And make the next box larger or smaller based on how it fits.

For example I know that with my mold the width needs to be 1 marker smaller than 3" and the length needs to be 1 marker larger than 12". And for the hight of the sides to make it easier I also use the same width mark.



And draw your lines. Don't forget to include a mark for your corner fold marks. And fold on all the lines.



Now fold and tape your corners. Fold them to the outside, and I like to fold and tape them to the longest side.



Repeat on all 4 sides to get your box.




Now drop it down into your mold and you should have a perfect fit. Because this is paper I like to add a bit of tape to keep the paper stuck to the mold side so it doesn't fold in when i'm pouring in my soap.   I mostly use silicone molds now, but should I go back and use some of my wooden molds I think I am going to buy a roll of 1" wide grosgrain ribbon and cut two lengths, possibly three.  Put them under the paper and draping outside the mold.  I would still add a bit of tape to the corners so it doesn't fall in by accident when you are pouring....  Then when the soap has hardened you can grab the ends of the ribbon and pull the log of soap out more easily.  The ribbon is very cheap at walmart and I'm sure just as cheap at other craft stores.  I live in a small rural community and don't have access to other craft stores without ordering online or driving great distances.  (about 6 hours round trip)  So that is why I shop walmart, it's all I have......



And vola` one perfectly sized paper soap mold liner. Because cardboard tends to bow out when you add your soap I figured a way to help with this problem. If you go to the top of this tutorial and look at the first picture you will see a piece of clear tape across the center. This helps the box keep it's shape while the soap hardens.

Then when you want to remove the soap from the box just use a knife and slit through all the tape and set the box aside for the next time you want to soap. Rip the paper off your soap and you got one fantastic soap log.

And now write down the measurements you used for your soap liner so the next time you want to make soap it goes licky split to make up your liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment